Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Whales 3 - The journey begins!



7/17/19 

Today, 7/17/19, was a very busy day filled with adventure on the Lady Maryland. I woke up to the sound of my name and those of my classmates. I was tired from the day before, but I hoped that the day to come would be exciting and jumped up rapidly from my sleeping bag. I got ready and ate a hearty breakfast with my shipmates. We washed the dishes and hoisted the sails. “Heave, Ho!” “Heave, Ho!”, we all said. We settled down and spotted a Minke Whale! It would be the first of several whale sightings to come. The ship sailed from Gloucester to the Stellwagen Bank, where whale sightings were common due to its richness in plankton. After that, everyone discussed emergency protocols with the first mate of the ship and sailed towards Providencetown. We went to an interesting yet alarming presentation about whale entanglement (a direct consequence of fishing in whales). After that, we returned to the boat and had a delicious dinner.
~Adriana  














No comments: