Saturday, July 25, 2009

CTY Day 5

Dear Readers of the Blog,

We have all been having soo much fun on the Lady Maryland! There are so many new things to learn about whales and sailing. I am proud to say I have steered, navigated, and watched out for a real sailboat. I learned how to raise the and set the sails, tie knots and make coils! I am not too siked about the whole "not showering" business but I guess that just makes it all the more adventurousave. We have not yet seen any whales but tomorrow we should be heading into a main whale feeding ground so hopefully we will get lucky.
One of the things I've enjoyed most on this trip is trawling! For those of you who don't know what it is, it is basically fishing along the bottom of the ocean with a net hanging off the side of the boat. It was sooo cool! I found many creatures I didn't even know existed! We also caught two baby lobsters with beautiful colors.
I had fun at the Whaling Museum and rowing the whailing boats in New Bedford.
Today, while docked in Provincetown, we went to the Whydah Pirate Museum and did a scavenger hunt. We also went to the Center for Coastal Studies and learned about rescuing whales who are entangled in fishing lines. Who knew learning could be so much fun?
Also, the food is amazing-- Kudos to our chef, Dylan. And thanks to the whole crew this is and is further going to be a great experience!

-Written by David J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dylan sounds awesome! Everyone seems to mention him! Let's hear about the rest of your crew as well! I'm sure you are learning some amazing things from them all!