Thursday, July 24, 2008

Whales CTY Summer Session 3 Day 3


This post was written by Hannah:

We started our third day early. At almost 6:00 we could hear the crew shuffling around deck, raising anchor and getting us underway because we had 50 miles to travel in a single day. The water was extremely choppy, and lucky me, I got bow watch (meaning I had to stand at the front of the boat and keep and eye out for boat traffic, crab pods, or other obstacles). Every time the boat hit a wave (which was a lot considering the sea conditions) I was splashed with a huge spray of salty water. By the end of it there wasn't an inch of me that wasn't soaking wet. I was sooo cold, but it was actually really fun! I don't think I have ever been so wet. After my bow watch (and a good dry-off) I went to Navigation. I learned so much in so little time. I still can't believe I understood what the crew member instructing me was saying (it was all about lines of latitude/longitude, and the relationship between distance, rate, and time)! I am so excited to see what I learn in the days ahead.

No comments: